Instructions for Authors
Rules of the Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society
Amended on 2018.8.1 (applicable to manuscripts received after September 1, 2018)
Amended on 2021.11.10 (applicable to manuscripts received after December 1, 2021)
The purpose of these rules is to stipulate all matters related to submissions to the Journal of The Korean Solar Energy Society (hereinafter referred to as “journal”).
2. Qualifications of submitters
In principle, at least one of the main authors (first author or corresponding author) of the submitted paper must be a full member of the Society without arrears due.
3. Manuscript preparation
Manuscript preparation and editing shall follow the “Instructions for writing a manuscript” in Annex 1 and the “Instructions for editing a manuscript” in Annex 2.
4. Manuscript submission
(1) Manuscripts are accepted from time to time, and the date of receipt of the manuscript shall be the date recorded in the online submission system.
(2) Paper submission and paper review assignments are made frequently.
(3) For manuscript submission, the manuscript file prepared in accordance with the “Instructions for writing a manuscript” in Annex 1 and the “Instructions for editing a manuscript” in Annex 2 shall be submitted by accessing https://submission.ksesjournal.co.kr/
(4) In principle, re-submission of the paper, which has been confirmed as non-publishable, within 3 months from the date of notification is prohibited. However, re-submission within 3 months may be permitted with the prior approval of the Editorial Board.
5. Acceptance and publication of manuscript
(1) Whether the manuscript is accepted shall be determined by the Editorial Board in accordance with the “Instructions for examining a manuscript” in Annex 3.
(2) Manuscripts will be rejected on the basis of the
① Violation of the purpose of this Society or deviance from the aims and objectives of the journal.
② If a paper has already been published, the significance of its publication is lost. However, a paper (academic presentation) that has already been published can be accepted if it presents newly developed content and topics.
(3) A manuscript that does not conform to the given instructions for writing a manuscript.
(4) The date of acceptance of the manuscript shall be the date the Editorial Board decides to publish it.
(5) The journal is published bi-monthly, six times a year.
Issue dates are February 28, April 30, June 30, August 30, October 30, and December 30.
(6) Publication of the manuscript in the journal is subject to acceptance based on the review process.
(7) The date of submission, review, and publication confirmation of the published paper shall be written at the bottom of the first page of each manuscript.
6. Restriction on the number of serializations
A paper with the same title with a different subtitle shall not be accepted. However, exceptions may be granted at the discretion of the Editorial Board.
7. Return of manuscript
Once received, the manuscript will not be returned.
8. Revisions and corrections
In principle, revisions and corrections in the manuscript are carried out by the submitter. However, the Editorial Board may cooperate under the responsibility of the submitter.
9. Review fee and publication fee
(1) When submitting a manuscript, the submitter must pay the general review fee (KRW 100,000 per paper) or urgent review fee (KRW 300,000 per paper) through online deposit. [Deposit account for review fee] ․Bank Name: Woori Bank ․Account number: 126-433275-01-005 ․Account holder: The Korean Solar Energy Society
(2) The submitter pays the publication fee of KRW 160,000 per paper through online deposit. The maximum number of pages is 8 pages, and if the number of pages is exceeded, a fee of KRW 35,000 per page must be paid. The deposit account for publication fee is the same as the deposit account for review fee.
(3) The publication of a paper by a submitter who has not paid the review fee and publication fee and the disposition of the submitter shall follow the decision of the Editorial Board.
10. Review of manuscript
Manuscript review shall be carried out in accordance with the “Instructions for examining a manuscript” in Annex 3.
(1) The copyright of the paper published in the journal shall belong to the Society. However, when there is a request for reproduction or reprinting of the document from a third party, the author's permission shall be obtained.
(2) When the submitter uses the paper for his/her own purpose, there is no restriction.
Matters not covered by these instructions are subject to the decision of the Editorial Board.
Annex 1 of the Rules of the Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society
(Instructions for writing a manuscript)
(1) The manuscript must contain original content presenting logical or experimental research results that have not been published in other academic journals.
(2) Regarding the word processor for writing manuscripts, use Hangul or Microsoft Word.
(3) Manuscripts must have at least 6 pages; 8 pages are recommended.
(4) The composition of the manuscript shall be as follows.
Title in Korean, author name in Korean, affiliated
organization name in Korean, position in Korean
• Title in English, author name in English, affiliated
organization name in English, position in English
• Corresponding author's e-mail address
• Abstract in English
• Keywords in Korean (keywords in English)
• Description of symbols and abbreviations (optional)
• Description of Greek symbols (optional)
• Description of superscript (optional)
• Description of subscript (optional)
• Main body (introduction, body, conclusion)
• Epilogue or acknowledgement
(5) The numbering system for chapters, sections, and paragraphs in the text is as follows.
• Chapter: 1. (1 blank line up and down)
• Section: 1.1 (Only 1 blank line above)
• Paragraph: (1) (Do not leave blank lines above or below)
2. Writing of the manuscript
(1) Language and indication
① In principle, the language used shall be Korean, but English and Chinese characters may be mixed.
② The orthography of Hangul follows the 「Korean Spelling Act」 (2017) and 「Standard Language Regulation」 (2017) described in the Korean language standard of the National Institute of Korean Language (kornorms.korean.go.kr).
(2) Indication of foreign words
① In principle, foreign words shall be written in Korean. However, foreign words whose meaning is difficult to convey by displaying them in Korean shall be written in the original language.
② Foreign words shall be written in accordance with the “Foreign Word Indication” (2017) and “Romanization of the Korean language” (2014) described in the Korean language standard of the National Institute of Korean Language.
③ The following shall be written in the original language.
• Literature titles
④ In the case of English, it shall be written in all lowercase letters. However, exceptions are made in the following cases.
• Beginning of a sentence
• First letter of proper noun
• Abbreviations with capital letters
(3) Numbers and equations
① When indicating a quantity, Arabic numerals shall be used.
② For decimals greater than 1, 0 must be written before the decimal point.
③ If possible, fractions shall not be expressed as ½, but as 1/2.
④ For numbers with more than four digits, a comma shall be placed or it shall be spaced out every three digits. However, four-digit numbers need not conform to this.
(4) Units and symbols
① The SI unit system shall be used for units, and Arabic numerals shall be used for numbers.
② Necessary units other than the preceding paragraph shall be written as they are, but indicated in parentheses. (E.g.) 1 bottle of paint (20ℓ) 1 bag of cement (40kg)
③ At the right end of the equation, serial numbers shall be attached as (1), (2), etc., and when quoting in the text, it shall be indicated as equation (1).
④ In principle, the unit symbol and the quantity symbol shall be in accordance with the unit symbol and quantity symbol of the Korean Industrial Standards.
(5) Figures and photos
① Computerized output shall be used for figures, and computerized characters shall also be used for characters to be written in the figures. For photos, the clearest of the original photos shall be used.
② In principle, the horizontal size of figures and photos shall be 71 mm when editing one side and 150 mm when editing both sides.
③ In principle, figures and photos shall be inserted into the original.
④ Figures shall be center-aligned, and serial numbers and explanations shall be written in the lower center.
⑤ If several figures are in a bundle, symbols such as (a), (b) shall be placed in the center of the lower part of each figure and a description shall be provided.
Fig. 00 Individual and centralized structures
① Tables shall be inserted directly into the main body text.
② Tables shall be center-aligned. Serial numbers and description shall be written in the top center.
③ The notes shall be written right below the table.
④ In the table, the top and bottom lines shall be dark, the left and right lines shall be transparent, and the rest shall be normal.
Table caption font
Table content font
(7) Note method
① General note
• In principle, every note shall be a footnote.
• In the part that requires a note, write the note serial number in parentheses in the upper right corner of the phrase, and write the note number and description in the lower part of the page.(e.g.) ... according to the results of previous study2) ...
• The method of writing a citation in the note follows the general practice.
② Notes with cited references
• If there is a quotation in the text, mark it with quotation marks (“”) and indicate the source, but make a note in the same way as a general note.
(E.g.) It is said that “A house is a machine for living”12)
• In notes, it is standard practice to write the citations as shown below.
Author name, book name, edition, publisher,
publication place, page cited, year of publication,
(E.g.) Lee Mongryong, 『Solar Energy』, 3rd ed., Cheongunsa, Seoul, p.54, 1993, https://doi.org/00.0000/abcd.0000.00.0.000.
(E.g.) Lynch, K. and Hack, G., Site Planning, 3rd ed., MIT Press, Cambridge, p.132, 1994, https://doi.org/00.0000/abcd.0000.00.0.000.
- PeriodicalAuthor name, paper name, periodical name, volume number, number, page cited, publication year, DOI identifier.
E.g.) Lee Doryeong,「Condensing of sunlight」, Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society, Volume 27, No. 4, pp. 145〜150, 2007, https://doi.org/00.0000/abcd.0000.00.0.000.
E.g.) Sperry, J., Darwin, D., O’Reilly, M., Lepage A, Lequesne, A., Matamoros, L. R., Feldman, R. D., Anchorage strength of conventional and high-strength hooked bars in concrete, Mylrea, T. D., Bond and anchorage, Journal Proceedings, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 521-552, 1948, https://doi.org/00.0000/abcd.0000.00.0.000.
- Series or collection of articlesAuthor name, paper name (editor name, book name, edition, number of volumes), page cited, publisher, year of publication, DOI identifier
E.g.) Hong Gildong,「Construction of wind power system」 (Kim Saengnyeon's edition, Wind Power Handbook, 2nd ed., 2nd volume), Geonseolsa, Busan, p.552, 1988, https://doi.org/00.0000/abcd.0000.00.0.000.
- Academic conferenceAuthor name, presentation title, conference name, volume, number, page, host year, venue, DOI identifier.
E.g.) Tham, R., Prince, K., Neumann, A., Boyd, C., and Wheeler, L., Electrodepositing switchable photovoltaic window electron and hole transport layers, 2020 47th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, pp. 0001-0006, June 2020, Calgary, Canada, https://10.1109/PVSC45281.2020.9300879.
- Online content
Source, title, year, link, last access date
E.g.) Bloomberg New Energy Finance, New Energy Outlook, 2019. https://about.bnef.com/new-energy-outlook. last accessed on the 9th March 2020.
③ Method of writing references References shall be listed at the end of the main text, but the citation format shall be in accordance with “② Notes with cited references”.
④ Method of listing the first author and the corresponding author among the main authors If there is a co-author, the person listed in the first position shall be the first author among the main authors. The corresponding author shall be the author marked with the corresponding author symbol. The email address and “corresponding author” shall be indicated at the top of the abstract on the first page.
(8) In addition to the above instructions for manuscript preparation, the manuscript can be written by using the format set in the paper template provided by the Korean Solar Energy Society.
1. Manuscript writing
The submitter shall directly edit and write a manuscript using the provided Korean or English form in order to skip the pre-printing processes such as proofreading and editing in order to save time and ensure efficiency and accuracy.
2. Editing method
The paper shall be prepared in the order of (1) to (6) below. However, 「Journal serial page number」, 「Book name, volume number, issue volume, month issue」, 「Submission date」 at the bottom of the page, and 「Paper title」, 「Submitter name」 etc. on the upper part of the page shall be prepared by the Society before the Journal is printed.
(1) Paper title (Korean and English)
① Put the Korean title in the top row.
② Enter the English title after the Korean title, the Korean name, the name of the institution affiliated in Korean, and the position in Korean.
(2) Name (Korean and English)
① The Korean name shall come below the Korean title, and the affiliation shall be indicated with a superscript number after the name.
② The English name shall come below the English title, and the affiliation shall follow the format mentioned for the Korean name above.
(3) Affiliation and position (Korean and English)
Affiliation and position shall be written under the name as in the example below.
Example of Korean) 1○○University ○○ Faculty of Engineering, Associate Professor
2○○ University ○○Graduate school, PhD
Example of English)1Associate professor, Dept. of ○ ○, ○○ University
2Graduate student, Dept. of ○○, ○○ University
(4) Indication of the corresponding author’s email address
Write the corresponding author's email address at the top of the English summary.
(5) English abstract
An English summary (within 20 lines) shall be placed between the English name and keywords.
They shall be about 4 words both in Korean and English.
E.g.) Keywords: 공간구문(space syntax), H형강(H-shaped steel)
The purpose of these instructions is to stipulate the review method for determining whether the submitted paper is suitable for publication.
(1) The review of the manuscript shall be supervised by the editor-in-chief, but the vice chief editor, who has been delegated the authority of the editor-in-chief, may review on behalf of the editor-in-chief.
(2) The vice chief editor who has been delegated the authority of the editor-in-chief verifies the plagiarism test result of the submitted manuscript and, if there is no problem, assigns it to the editor.
(3) The editor-in-charge who has been assigned the submitted manuscript commissions three or more reviewers who are deemed appropriate for the role of reviewer. The names of the reviewers and author(s) are not mutually disclosed. However, for manuscripts that have been confirmed for publication, reviewer identity may be disclosed.
(4) In principle, reviewers are selected from among the editorial directors or editors. If there are no suitable reviewers among them, members of the Society and other experts may be selected as reviewers.
(5) Regarding the paper review, the fields of review are classified such that reviewers can be assigned fairly and professionally for the submitted papers. The submitter applies for paper review by selecting the most appropriate field among the review areas listed in the online submission system.
3. Types of review results
(1) Review results are divided into 4 types: accept, minor revision, major revision, and reject.
(2) A manuscript determined as “minor revision” can be published after the author has corrected the items pointed out by the reviewers, and the editor-in-charge confirms it.
(3) For a manuscript determined as requiring “major revision,” the author corrects the items pointed out by the reviewers and asks the reviewers for a re-review. A maximum of two re-reviews shall be permitted per manuscript.
(1) A manuscript can be published in the journal only if it is marked as “accept” or “minor revision” by more than half of the reviewers among the 3 or more reviewers.
(2) For a reviewed manuscript, the volume and number of journals to be published are determined after receiving final approval from the Editorial Board. For an accepted manuscript, a certificate of expected publication may be issued.
(1) Reviewers, in principle, submit the review results within 20 days for general review and within 10 days for urgent review from the date of receiving the review commission.
(2) If the reviewers do not submit the review results within the deadline after receiving the review commission, the review request may be cancelled.
(3) The reviewers and the author may exchange opinions on the manuscript through the editor-in-chief or vice chief editor who has been delegated the authority of the editor-in-chief.
(4) The review result is sent to the author within one week, and the author can respond to the review result.
(5) The reviewer’s “reject” decision must have a reasonable explanation.
(6) The review result is notified only to the author and not published.
(7) Reviewers may be paid a certain review fee.
(8) After the review assignment, the paper review period of 10 days (urgent review) or 20 days (general review), a re-review period of 10 days, and a printing preparation period of 10 days may be required. Ideally, the monthly publication of the paper should be finalized one week before the publication date.
The purpose of these rules is to stipulate matters related to the collection and submission of papers for the academic conference hosted by the Society.
2. Qualifications of submitter
In principle, at least one presenter among the submitters must be a regular member of the Society.
3. Manuscript writing
(1) Manuscripts shall follow the Korean Solar Energy journal editorial instructions.
(2) Manuscript writing format and editing shall be in accordance with the Rules of the Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society, Annex 1 and 2.
(3) Manuscripts can be prepared by applying the format set in the template of the academic conference paper.
4. Submission and acceptance of manuscripts
(1) In principle, the deadline for manuscript submission is 30 days before the paper presentation date, but if necessary, the Academic Presentation Conference Steering Committee may extend the deadline.
(2) In principle, only two papers for the academic presentation can be submitted by the same presenter.
(3) The decision to accept manuscripts shall be made by the Academic Presentation Conference Steering Committee in accordance with a separately stipulated procedure.
(1) The copyright of the paper published in the journal belongs to the Society. However, when there is a request for reproduction or reprinting of a document from a third party, permission shall be obtained from the author.
(2) When the submitter uses the paper for his/her own purpose, there is no restriction.
Matters not included in these rules shall be subject to separately stipulated rules, and other matters shall be subject to the decision of the Editorial Board.
These rules are for reviews carried out to determine whether a manuscript is suitable for publication among the papers of the academic conference.
2. Review appointment and method
(1) The Academic Conference Steering Committee shall request one or more reviewers that are deemed appropriate to decide on the publication of the submitted paper.
(2) Personal information of the submitter may not be disclosed when the reviewer of the academic presentation papers is commissioned for review.
(3) In principle, reviewers and review details of manuscripts submitted for publication in academic conference papers are not disclosed.
The review evaluates originality, usefulness, completeness, reliability, etc. of the manuscript content and the contribution of research results.
The four possible review results are: accept, minor revision, major revision, and reject.
5. Review fee
If necessary, academic presentations may be made, but a certain review fee may be paid to the reviewer of the paper.